About Bayview Glen SNAP
Bayview Glen is a beautiful neighbourhood located in the community of Thornhill in the City of Markham and the Don River Watershed. Approximately 2,400 people reside in the neighbourhood, enjoying access to a mix of housing types, parks, parkettes, an elementary school, places of worship and nearby commercial and retail services. A branch of the East Don River flows through the area, contributing to create a rural outlook highly appreciated by the neighbours. Bayview Glen is characterized primarily by single detached homes built on large lots with green lawns, wide driveways and mature trees. These features, as well as the neighbourhood’s proximity to a variety of amenities, make Bayview Glen a highly desirable place to live in the City of Markham and wider GTA.
Something very exciting is happening in this community! TRCA and the City of Markham are currently working with local residents and businesses on developing the Bayview Glen SNAP (Sustainable Neighbourhood Retrofit Action Plan). This action-oriented plan will build on Markham’s Greenprint Sustainability Plan initiatives and help to prepare the neighbourhood for climate change and transform it to become more environmentally friendly.
The Bayview Glen SNAP is an integrated action plan to foster local sustainability and wellbeing through improvements in five core areas: water efficiency; ecosystem integrity; energy and climate; access and mobility; and identity and culture. Priority actions addressing each core area were identified to improve local sustainability within the public realm as were those actions that could be achieved on private residential lots. Initiatives proposed in the Action Plan include:
- Retrofitting Bayview Glen Park, Glencrest Park and Stone Farm Parkette to achieve a range of SNAP objectives;
- Implementing stormwater management initiatives within several cul-de-sacs in the neighbourhood;
- Retrofitting some streets that have a “rural” cross-section to improve stormwater management, enhance aesthetics and create a more durable pavement structure;
- Installing sidewalks and bicycle routes to improve walkability and provide active transportation options; and
- Implementing a separate sub-surface drainage system in the road right-of-ways, consisting of perforated pipes within granular trenches to manage stormwater and reduce flooding.
- Promoting or increasing energy and water efficiency of residential dwellings;
- Managing stormwater on the homes surrounding property and through evapotranspiration as well as reducing infiltration and inflow to the surrounding sanitary system;
- Encouraging behaviour change for more sustainable choices; and
- Succession planting for aging trees and dying ash trees.
Do you live or work in this neighbourhood?
We want to get local residents and businesses involved in developing the Bayview Glen SNAP. We will be holding community meetings and events, tree and shrub plantings in the park, and educational workshops to save money for your home. Come out and meet your neighbours! To get onto our mailing list, contact:
Coordinator, SNAP Projects
416.661.6600 ext. 5780; email@example.com